The History of PCMK
1851: Fifteen townspeople formed the Presbyterian Church of Mt. Kisco soon after the town is given a name with the new railroad station.
Mount Kisco Depot and French's Hotel
Sanctuary at former location 1957
Church building at former location 1957
1940 : On May 19th the congregation called its sixteenth pastor,
the Rev. Lee Meyer Fairchild. A graduate of Princeton Theological Seminary,
Rev. Fairchild had along and successful tenure as pastor of the church and
leader in the Mount Kisco community. He led the church through the
difficult years of the Second World War and oversaw growth in membership
and facilities, leading to the move to the current location in 1969. Among
other skills, Rev. Fairchild was a horticulturist of reputation and wrote a book
on the modern gladiolus. He was very active in community organizations
such as the Lions Club, the Leonard Park Commission and the Red Cross.
His long-tenure and effective leadership have made an indelible impression on the church and community. His portrait hangs in the narthex and has been the backdrop for press conferences of Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who lives next door and votes in the church’s Great Hall. His memory lives on in the hearts of many older members who are still a part of the PCMK family.
1962: The Church builds a housing complex in Bedford Hills for retired people of all faiths. Created for those of limited income, these
70 apartments are sponsored by our church and managed by a Board of Directors constituted of our members.
1968: Needing to relocate the church, members acquire land and construction begins at the crossroads of Route 133 and Crow Hill Road in New Castle.
1969: Doors open for worship at our present location.
1976: Commemorating the Bicentennial of our nation, two bronze bells are cast in Europe and given to the church by Lila Acheson Wallace.
1984: The church Sanctuary is expanded for worship. New Narthex and offices are added.
1986-88: The Memorial Pipe Organ is built and installed in the Sanctuary.
1994-96: Major renovation and expansion of our church building, including addition of classrooms and Education Center for children and adults, the Great Hall for church and community, a new entrance with bridge to upper parkinglots, new portico with bell tower at front of building. The largest bell, cast in Holland, was given to commemorate the completion of our church building.
1999-2001: In a two-year study funded by the Lilly Foundation, the Presbyterian Church of Mt. Kisco was rated among the top 300 Protestant churches in the U.S. The study was summarized in a book, Excellent Protestant Congregations: the Guide to Best Places and Practices, published in April of 2001. The churches are listed alphabetically, by state, since there is no ranking order within the 300.
2004-2009: The Reverend Molly Blythe Teichert serves as Senior Pastor.
2005-2010: The Reverend James K. Poinsett serves as Associate Pastor, and Acting Head of Staff
2008: The "Water Organ", a gift from Bonnie and Tom Trotta, is built and installed by the Von Beckerath Organ company in the Sanctuary
2010-2012: Jack Lohr serves as Interim Pastor
2012-present: The Rev. Dr. Dale E. Southorn serves as Pastor